The SACP/SSP Starter Grant Awards are given to encourage high-quality, innovative research by beginning chemistry professors. The goal of the grants is to promote the training and development of graduate students in the fields of spectroscopy and analytical chemistry.
Two awards will be granted in May 2022:
• $40,000 grant from the Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh in the area of analytical chemistry
• $30,000 grant from the Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh in the area of spectroscopy
Assistant professors who have accepted an appointment at a U.S. college or university since July 31, 2019 are eligible. Candidates, who have submitted applications in previous years may reapply, provided these eligibility criteria are met. Repeat awards to former recipients will not be given.
The award is intended to support faculty early in their academic careers. Therefore, applicants who have already obtained multi-year research or teaching support beyond start-up funds will not be considered eligible for this starter grant.
The criteria that will be used by the SACP and SSP Starter Grant Committees are as follows:
1. The scientific merit of the proposal.
2. The impact of the proposal on the field of analytical chemistry or spectroscopy.
3. The impact of the proposal on the development of graduate students who are working in the proposed field of study.
4. A demonstrated need for funding. Applicants must provide a detailed explanation of the need and must include all current funding including the start up funds.
Submit the PDF application to: email@example.com